Selecting the right keywords is an essential piece to online marketing programs. It should also be a crucial part of your Social Media monitoring strategy.
At Actionly you can track these keywords and think of them in 3 distinct categories:
INTERNAL: These are keywords that are relevant to the core of your business.
1. Brand: Monitoring your brand keyword/s or popular misspellings or abbreviations of your brand are essential. Don’t get to specific when it comes to syntax such as full stops etc. Its better when you keep it general so that
you can capture all the chatter around your brand and not missing anything due to syntax or abbrevation details.
2. Name of your company: If your company’s name is not the same as your Brand, please be sure to track it as well.
3. Trademark or Copyrights: If you have any trademarks or copyrights, please track these keywords as well to ensure their is no copyright infringement going on.
4. People in the Public Eye: Please track relevant people at your company who are or might have been in the public limelight. This could be your Founder, CEO, VP of Marketing, Public Relations Manager etc.
5. Marketing Slogans: If you have a famous advertising slogan, you want to monitor it to see that it’s been used correctly or track the reach of your marketing campaign and hear what customers are talking about it and in what context.
EXTERNAL: This is a category of keywords that are external to your company.
6. Competitors: This is not a suprise to anyone. But monitoring your competitors can really put you ahead of the game. Most companies have press releases which are often pushed online even before it gets on the new blogs.
Stay in the loop about happenings, new products of your competitor. You might even hear their customers rants or raves which can give you an edge on your products or services.
7. Clients: If you are in the Public Relations business this is imperative to you. Knowing about your clients and keeping them in the news is often crucial to your strategy.
8. Industry: This is a very important keyword type that often gets overlooked and we felt deserved its own category. It’s essential to monitor industry keywords that are relevant to your industry so that you are informed about new developements, big mergers or other happenings that could effect your business. When selecting these keywords, don’t be too general. For example if you are in the Online Travel businesses, don’t track the keyword “Travel” as this might generate heaps of irrelevant information.
We at Actionly, hope this blog posting has been useful as selecting keywords for your search is crucial to the success of your Social Media Monitoring.